2014-2017 Multi-Disciplinary MA in Printmaking, (Distinction, with Clifford Moss Prize), University of West of England
2007-2008 City and Guilds. PTTLS adult teaching qualification.
2000-2011 Bookbinding residential training, Urchfont Manor, Devizes with Maureen Duke.
2001-2002 London College of Printing. HND, Design (Bookbinding).
1997-1999 Bristol University. MA, Medieval Studies.
1984-1987 Goldsmiths College, London. BA Hons, Fine Art.
Selected Exhibitions and Events:
- Dante: libri nuovi October 2021 - March 2022. This is the 700th year since Dante's death and the artists John McDowell and Sophie Loss, with Rhiannon Daniels and Tristan Kay, academics with the Department of Italian in the University of Bristol, are planning a series of events to take place in October 2021. These include an exhibition of eight new Dante inspired artists' books created for the project which will be exhibited alongside existing artists' books on Dante and his works. I have been invited to to create one of the new artists' books. A publication will accompany the event.
- Caroline Herschel collaboration. Work begins October 2021 A new collaboration between myself, Dr Sian Prosser and Gillian Adair McFarland of Creativity and Curiosity exploring Caroline Herschel's extraordinary contribution to astronomy. Known as the Comet Sweeper Herschel's hand written notebooks are a testament to her discipline and methodology, these engaging artefacts will be central to this exploration of Herschel. Work will begin in October 2021.
- BABE 2021 and Eve's Diner: a work in progress. Film available April 16th, 2021.Bristol Artists' Book Event, in response to the restrictions of Covid, is hosting a 'lost weekend' version of BABE this year. Over 100 videos by artists and small presses have been made and will be launched on April 16th, they will be available on youtube and archived after the event. My film, Eve's Diner; a work in progress, will be on elf the videos. The book imagines Eve, having left the Garden of Eden by choice to explore this world, as the proprietor of a diner with a very special menu.
- Postcards for Perec. March 2021 Artist Linda Parr has organised this international response to Georges Perec's ‘Two Hundred and Forty-three Postcards in Real Colour’. Dedicated to his fellow writer Italo Calvino, the postcards' messages were originally published in list form with no images. Participants are creating colour postcards in response to specific messages, I have contributed three cards. There will be an exhibition later this year.
- World Book Night 2021, The Herbarium. March 2021 “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” Oscar Wilde. Contributing artists were invited to create a flower image in response to a poem, book or other text referencing flowers. My flower was inspired by a 1930's detective novel, The Beckoning Lady by Margery Allingham. It has entered the Tate Britain's collection. There will be an exhibition in 2021.
- It's A New Day 2nd March -18th April 2021 An online exhibition hosted by the Centre for Fine Print Research & Bower Ashton Library in collaboration with Arnolfini, Bristol, UK. The exhibition, which includes my book Love and Toothache, showcases a selection of artists' books on mental health, wellness and recovery. Images of this work can be seen in the books section of this website.
- RWA Annual Open Exhibition 2020-2021. 'Foxtrot', 2020, accepted into this annual open exhibition, see 'Prints' for image.
- The Royal Astronomical Society Library. Measuring the Heavens, 2020, exhibited in the RAS library alongside some of the early printed books that inspired it. The work is currently on loan to the Library.
- The Hebridean Dark Skies Festival, An Lanntair, Stornoway. February 8th. The Typographical Planet, a presentation with Dr Sian Prosser, Librarian and archivist of the Royal Astronomical Society on our collaboration and its results, part of a day of talks and events with Creativity and Curiosity.
- Creativity and Curiosity. An Lanntair, Stornoway. February 8th-March 14th.Exhibiting the results of my collaboration with Creativity and Curiosity and the library of the Royal Astronomical Society in an exhibition inspired by this art/science project.
- World Book Night, 2020. March. Should we have stayed at home and thought of here? WBN United Book Artists. Contributed to an exhibition and exchange coordinated by Sarah Bodman and Linda Parr. Considers texts related to travel and the ethics of travelling and asks participants to 'travel' from a library. Now a virtual postcard album at http://www.bookarts.uwe.ac.uk/wbn2020
- Some of the the following events and exhibitions were changed or cancelled due to Covid:
- Exhibition at UWE Library April 15th- June 30th work related to RAS. [event cancelled]
- Filmed conversation, part of the series Print in Conversation. Dr Angie Butler from the Centre for Fine Print Research in discussion with myself and Dr Sian Prosser, librarian of the Royal Astronomical Society, London, on our collaboration.
- Mini Babe, Arnolfini, Bristol, May 2nd-3rd discussion and demonstration of Measuring the Heavens. [event cancelled]
- Turn the Page 2020, May 14th-16th Exhibiting Measuring the Heavens and keynote speaker at accompanying seminar with Dr Prosser. [event cancelled]
- Winchester College of Art, July 10th Measuring the Heavens in exhibition. [event cancelled]
- BABE Bristol Artists Book Event, Arnolfini. March 30th-31st Gallery 2. Work sold to private collectors and public collections including: The University of the West of England, Winchester College of Art, Artists' Book Collection and the Josie Reed Gallery.
- 'Moons' 30 March-2 June, 2019. Exhibition, Newark Houses, Museum & Gardens, Leicester. Exhibiting books and prints inspired by research at the Royal Astronomical Library. Books: Typographical Planet, 2019, The Infinite M, 2019, and Printer of Stars, 2019.
Touring exhibition of artwork with international art/science project Creativity and Curiosity.
- AD44 Gallery, Bath. May 15th-19th Edition 5 Printmakers Open. Exhibiting Behind, Beneath, 2017, from print collection Perspectives.
- Collaboration begun with Dr Sian Prosser, librarian and archivist at the Royal Astronomical Society, London, resulting in Measuring the Heavens, 2020.
- Athens Print Fest 18, 1st-28th October. Exhibited print on the theme of Interruptions; Pomegranate, 2018.
- Invited to collaborate with Creativity & Curiosity between Astronomers and Artists. Research begun at the Royal Astronomical Society Library, London.
- Arts Council Lottery Grant awarded for Book Arts in collaboration with Creativity and Curiosity and the Royal Astronomical Society Library, London.
- RAS Fun Palaces open day, October 6th, 2018. Public talks with Creativity and Curiosity project with my books.
- Spike Print Studio Learning Programme End of Year Studio Show. CentreSpace, June-July 2018. Paper Structures.
- Love and Toothache, 2017, a first aid kit in text and images for the Wife of Bath in Redesigning the Medieval Book, Weston Library, Bodleian Library, Oxford. December 2017- March 2018. Artists' book competition to exhibit in Redesigning the Medieval Book. An exhibition of contemporary work in response to Designing English: Early Literature on the Page, a major exhibition at the Bodleian's Weston Library.
- Library Late at the Weston Library, Bodleian Library, Oxford. February 23rd, 2018. Invited to talk about the work Love and Toothache, 2017 and present other work.
- Redesigning the Medieval Book, exhibition and presentation, UWE Library, Bower Ashton, Bristol, April-June 2018
- My Dear Frankenstein, 2018. Frankenstein, book art exhibition, Liverpool Central Library and Kirkby Gallery, Knowsley, with Liverpool Book Art. May-September, 2018.
- The Blue Notebook, Spring-Summer, 2018. Artist's page contributed at Editor's request.
- Turn The Page, Norwich, May. Book fair with Linda Parr and invited artists. Joint Graduate Prize Winner 2018
- Found on the Isthmus, World Book Night, 2018. With United Book Artists, this book is a collection of fifty responses by international artists to the short story 'Watching God' by China Miéville. The work will join Tate Britain's artists book collection.
- Bookmarket, The Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh. With ABC at UWE, Sat 17th & Sun 18th February 2018.
- Commissioned by academics at Bristol University, to make a book to celebrate both libraries and the physicality of the book Confined to the Library, presented to the Vice Chancellor of Bristol University. July.
- MA exhibition at UWE, Awarded Distinction with Clifford Moss Prize for technical contribution. Bower Ashton Campus, Bristol, June.
- The Painter's Daughter, 2017 bought for the Bower Ashton library at UWE with a further copy bought for the Centre for Fine Print Research at Bristol.
- Artbook Berlin, Kunstraum, Bethanien. 17th-19th November
- CAB Cardiff Artists' Books, at the Printhaus, Cardiff, September
- Liverpool Artist's Book Fair- invited to exhibit, Liverpool Central Library, July.
- Never Apologise Never Explain- group exhibition in vitrines, UWE library.
- BABE, at Arnolfini, with programmed talk on my practice, April.
- World Book Night - Book Ish Ness - Loch Ness Monster meets books. Book launched at BABE 2017, in collection Tate Britain.
- Screen Print Residency, Studio Giuggiolo, Siena, July.
- Exhibition with ABC, Tom Trusky Cases, UWE Library.
- Sketchlook book, Winter for David, in Rochester Library, New York until end of June 2016. Sketchlook is a sketchbook/ book arts exhibiting project initiated in the USA at Stephen F. Austin State University.
- World Book Night, project in Halifax. Inspired by Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale 40 artists and 16 stampers produced a box of stamped cards in one day. The finished work, Serena Joy, in collection Tate Britain.
- 'Turn the page 2016', Artists’ Book Fair, Norwich, June.
- 'Beyond the Page' Allsop Gallery, Bridport. Exhibition using the book as a starting point, showing sketchlook book Winter for David. September- October.
- Exhibited with Bath Artist Printmakers, BRSLI, Bath, invited to give talk on my work in the context of Artists' books, October.
- Images of Uccello inspired book Beautiful Battle published in Water Based Screen Printing and Safe Ceramic Decals, Dave Fortune. October.
- Uccello's Formula II and Uccello's Woman bought by Reed Contemporary Books, October.
- Mini Print Exhibition at Arnolfini, Bristol, November.
- BABE Arnolfini, Bristol.
- Co-coordinator of the Artists Book Club at UWE
- Began MA in Multi-Disciplinary Printmaking, University of the West of England (UWE).
- Winter for David, Sketchlook project. Touring exhibitions, UK and USA.
- Society of Bookbinders Conference. Demonstration - use of gold leaf in contemporary work.
- Cirencester Museum. Exhibition with Bath Artist Printmakers.
- RWA, Bristol Exhibition with Bath Artist Printmakers.
- Society of Bookbinders Conference, exhibition.
Collections and Galleries:
Books in public and private, national and international collections, UK, Europe and USA.
Abecedarian Gallery, USA.
Reed Contemporary Books, UK.
Baylor University Library Special Collections, USA.
Much Ado Books, Alfriston, UK.
Winchester College of Art Artists' Book Collection.
The Centre for Fine Print Research, Bristol.
The University of the West of England Library.
United Book Artists, in Tate Britain.
Royal Astronomical Society, London.
Postcards For Perec, Compiled & Edited by Linda Parr, 2022.
The Book Arts Newsletter No 145 March-April 2022, Cover image for Bristol Artist's Book Event 2022.
Printmaking Today, Summer 2020 Measuring the Heavens: Dr Sarah Bodman measures up Kate Bernstein's artist's book tribute to astronomers, libraries and printers.
The Artist's Book Yearbook, 2020-21.
The Blue Notebook, Spring-Summer 2018, Artist's Page.
The Artist's Book Yearbook, 2018-19.
Water Based Screen Printing and Safe Ceramic Decals, 2017. Dave Fortune
a-n, July 2017, Liverpool Artists’ Book Fair – linking histories with Italy, Sarah Bodman.
a-n, June 2018, Artists' Books 31: marking 200 years of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Sarah Bodman.
The Artist's Book Yearbook, 2016-17.
Print in Conversation. Dr Angie Butler from the Centre for Fine Print Research in discussion with Kate Bernstein and Dr Sian Prosser, librarian of the Royal Astronomical Society, London, on our collaboration.
Watch the conversation here : www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG_S0WPMrl4&feature=youtu.be
Turn the Page Symposium. Rosie Sherwood presents a film of Kate Bernstein and Dr Prosser in the Royal Astronomical Society Library, London, discussing the books that inspired Measuring the Heavens and the process of their collaboration.
Watch the film here www.turnthepagebf.co.uk